Table of Contents

The 1940ies

Commodore Werner was installed in office on the first Monday of 1940. He proceeded to appoint his various committees including Paul Cummings as Fleet Captain, Captain Christensen as Regatta Chairman, and Tom Whiteley as Entertainment Committeeman at large. The first life membership of the B.Y.C. was presented to C. S. Adams on January 29, 1940.

Here's an interesting note --a motion was made, seconded and carried in January 1940 to install a "Go SLOW" sign at the end of the floats for the particular benefit of some certain boat owners. This sign was actually posted , in November 1946. This was one of the fastest actions that the B.Y.C. had ever taken.

Commodore Werner had included the annual Heavy Weather Cruise in his calendar of club events for 1940. We see that Past Commodore Tucker in his new boat the "Nisimaha" walked off with first place in this race followed by Jack Kuphal in his "Aimee K" and George Carter in the "Lady Ruth".

About this time the State of Washington descended on the Bremerton Yacht Club and said quote "Boys, we're sorry, but we are going to build a new highway through here and is it OK with you if we take some of your land for a right-of-way? Unquote. Well the boys didn't do so badly. They got $400 for the right-of-way and had their parking lot all filled in and graded and so when everything was done the club actually had more and better parking and $400 in the bank. Sea Lawyers, that's what they are.

An accurate indication of the growth of the club can be ascertained by noting the difference in the size of the minutes of the club meetings. For the first 8 years the minutes could almost be written on a postage stamp and by 1940, they ran an average of four typewritten large sheets.

On May 6th, 1940, Vice Commodore Fred Givens resigned from his position and Captain C. J. Richie was elected to this post.

During this time, the business meetings of the club were dragging down so an innovation was started which put the business meetings on the 1st and 3rd Mondays with social meetings on the 2nd and 4th Mondays. This program has been followed in a general way ever since.

An article of note appears in the minutes of June, 1940. This was the decision of the B.Y.C. to drop their membership in the American Power Boat Association because of the apparent disinterest of that organization in the Puget Sound Area.

  • July 1, 1940 --voted to pay caretaker $30 per month.
  • July 2, 1940 --voted not to pay caretaker.
  • July 3, 1940 --caretaker quit.
  • July 4, 1940 --Captain Chuck Shildmeyer acts as temporary caretaker for a period not to exceed three weeks.

The "behind the scenes" deal on the above was that the club had not been paying the caretaker any salary at all. The caretaker had been earning a living by selling gasoline, groceries, and doing odd jobs, such as boat painting, float repair, etc. Possibly he was doing all right at this, but anyway there were slack months and he wanted a retaining fee --so he quit. A Mr. Gonyia from Spokane was the new caretaker as selected by the Board of Trustees. However, Mr. Gonyia didn't have the opportunity to do any caretaking because the club decided to hire Mr. and Mrs. Tom Leach instead. This arrangement had the full approval of the club and at this writing is still in effect although Mr. Leach passed on just a few years later. The Leaches came to work at the club in August 1940.