THE HISTORY OF THE BREMERTON YACHT CLUB

Table of Contents

The Towline

Now for a word about the B.Y.C. official publication "The Towline". The editor for 1946 was Captain Earl Gullickson. It seems that Captain Gullickson was of the opinion that the paper could be printed commercially and paid for with a little advertising. This was done on the first issue in January and, carried throughout 1946. This paper is the pride of the club and was certainly a good source of conveying club news, etc. to the members. It kept every member up on the latest doings of the club and consequently kept the interest high in the club. A great improvement over the old annual.

The new Concessions Committee under Captain Art Shelly really set up a business in 1946. Throughout the year the concessions built up a real store of goods and through the profits, thereof, installed the fine furnace in the basement. Captain Shelly put in the furnace at the beginning of 1946 and paid for it himself and then succeeded in making a success out of the concession so that he was able to refund the entire payment of the furnace by October.

The Planning Commission under Captain Milt Benson did the overall planning for new construction, maintenance, etc., throughout the year. This proved very successful, inasmuch as this committee laid out a program at the beginning of the year that seemed impossible at the time and then proceeded to see that everything was done and actually exceeded the original plans and almost doubled the accomplishments!

Education for Skippers & Skipperettes

The Educational Program under Vice Commodore Stevenson was fairly successful. A new system was tried out. This was to use the talent within the club for teaching purposes instead of a professional instructor. The people (Captains and Skipperettes) gathered around tables and learned by "round table" discussion rather than by lecture. All features of boat handling and simple navigation were discussed. This program carried through the odd Monday nights throughout the winter and spring. They were all well attended, so some good must have been done.

The calendar of social events for the year was followed faithfully. Every event that the Commodore had laid out at the beginning of the year was followed to the letter. This calendar called for a race and a dance every month except in the summer season, and it certainly is to the credit of all concerned that every one of these events was a huge success. Besides this, there were a number of events through the year that were added to the calendar, such as a cruise taking about 60 convalescents from the Naval Hospital for a cruise and a picnic lunch and a Navy Day Dress Parade, a Skipperettes Tolo dance, etc.

Work parties were held in the off months of the year until November -- when Commodore Hart called them off. A great deal was accomplished in this time. The gasoline distribution system was put in permanently as was the water and lighting systems. The new floats were constructed, some by work parties and some by contract. These and hundreds of other odd jobs were done throughout the year -- by the members.

Noted in the minutes of January (the second meeting of the year) is a change in the order of business at the meetings. This was inaugurated by Commodore Hart by vote of the members.

No settlement from the Government for the old club site yet -- as a matter of fact, this settlement finally came through in June -- two years after the order to vacate the old clubhouse. More later.

On January 21, 1946 the Vice Commodore got the floor at the regular meeting and suggested a "Manual" to cover all details of the club, including By-laws, Float Rules, House Rules, History, etc. Every meeting thereafter throughout the year of 1946, the Vice Commodore told of his progress with the Manual, but the end of the year rolled around with still no sign of it. The Vice Commodore did re-write all the By-laws again, the.. 925503638th time.

Heavy Weather 1946

On Washington's birthday the B.Y.C. played hosts to every yacht club on the Sound on a Heavy Weather Cruise and Dance, etc. The boys worked day and night on the clubhouse -- painting the porch -- sealing the porch in -- float repair -- cleaning the yard, and so forth in anticipation of this event. Their efforts were not in vain. About 40 visiting yachts and 250 visitors came to see the "big doins". These boats were strung out at the end of the floats and old "Phinney Bay" bulged a little, but everybody had a wonderful time at the buffet dinner on Friday night, the Past Commodore’s Ball on Saturday night after the Heavy Weather Cruise and the free breakfast served by the men and ladies to all who came on Sunday morning. The winner of the race was Dr. E. Guyer of the Queen City Club -- he was promptly made an honorary member for the year.

A few new innovations in the year were the telephone booth was moved to the porch with a separate extension for the caretaker in her quarters; the addressograph which was set up to take care of the huge amount of mail sent to the members in the course of the year; the guest book which each member and guest signs at the meetings and special events; changing the name of the Jackpot to "Treasure Chest" -- more nautical; the landscaping of the back of the clubhouse by the Skipperettes; the new cement sidewalks put in by the members; the parking lights and house lights and float lights etc., a maintenance man to tend the club; purchase of the tide lands in the lagoon. Captain Adams at the second meeting in January said that due to the pressure of other business he didn't want to be Fleet Captain -- so Commodore Hart appointed the Past Commodore Thompson who was a perfect Fleet Captain throughout the year.

One thing to mention in this year was the "song-fests" that the membership had. After potlucks, meetings, educational programs, and on every occasion the gang would get out the song sheets printed up by Rear Commodore Klieves and start to sing under the direction of Captain Crees and the accompaniment of the Commodore.

In fact "lesh shing" was the password to a lot of fun. A Saint Patrick's Ball was held in March and marked another very nice social event. The Past Commodore's Cup Race -- the first of an annual event was run in March, 1946. The worst part of it all was that a Past Commodore won it, Past Commodore Thompson, the Fleet Captain.

A few extra curricular events at the meetings included motion pictures by anybody that had them. Very interesting pictures of China were shown, as well as vacation trips to the San Juans and Canada.

Thompson Trophy

Past Commodore Thompson (probably in repentance for winning the Past Commodore’s Cup) presented the club with a beautiful trophy which is to be a perpetual trophy for a race to be run every June. Captain Milt Benson, of the Planning Commission, won this one as a result of his careful planning on navigational matters as well as yacht club business. Captain Benson skippered the "Klatawa".

Captain Huston, the Regatta Chairman, moved away in the middle of the year, so Captain Owen Hickox took over his job just in time to plan a "Bang and Go Back Race" won by Captain Glen Katzenberger.

A Rear Commodore's Ball was held in April in honor of Rear Commodore Klieves. In May of 1946 Captain Whiteley the long time Treasurer of the club resigned his position as he moved away. At the election held in mid-year, Paul Engel, Jr. was elected to the vacant post. Captain Huston also resigned from the board as he was away, and Captain Benson also resigned due to the By-laws article stating that only one elective position can be held by one man.

Captains Crees and Adams were elected to these Board of Trustees vacancies. A Memorial Day Ball was held in May -- men dressed as ladies? -- and girls dressed as men! Some fun. Also, the Memorial Day Cruise to Port Madison, and the Skipperettes Tolo Dance in May.

Summer months, always vacant as far as club events are concerned, were spent with the Nanaimo Race (12 Bremerton boats raced) and cruises to out of the way ports in the Sound and northward.

Railroad Settlement!

Hurrah!!! The settlement from the railroad finally came through on June 17th, 1946 -- $13,250 too. Paid off the note that Dr. Schutt held so patiently all this time and presented him with a life Membership -- he earned it and deserved it.

The Float Rules were revised in June and the berth rent was raised in tune with the times on July 1st, 1946. Garbage service and fire fighting equipment was purchased.

In June, the Queen City Club invited the B.Y.C. to Seattle for a shin-dig. Several boats and people went over for a dance and race. Captain Art Mosher of the B.Y.C. won the race, and a very good time was had by all. A labor Day Cruise by 17 of the B.Y.C. boats to Burton in Quartermaster Harbor was a feature of the summer cruising.

The annual Corn Roast was held in September at the club property at Port Madison.

The Vice Commodore's Ball opened up the fall season of social events at the club. This was in honor of Vice Commodore Stevenson.

A 49er party was the feature of October. Also, a B.Y.C. fishing derby.

R.L. Stevenson

Nominations for officers for 1947 came up on October 7th with the election on November 4th. R.L. Stevenson went in as Commodore with Art Mosher as Vice and Marx Libby as Rear. Earl Gullickson took over as Secretary and Curly Klieves as Treasurer. Three new Board members were Jim Jenson, Guy Williams and Ken Mathews.

The annual Christmas party was held at the American legion Hall on December 18th. The Commodore's Ball on November 23rd. In November and December, Commodore Hart filled out the odd Monday nights by having general social evenings. Very successful.

On December 28th and 29th the Tacoma Yacht Club invited the club to a dance and breakfast and a race at their club. 16 boats and crews took advantage of the fun. Didn't win the race though. Also in December, the club took their boats out to meet the U.S.S. BREMERTON on her maiden trip to Puget Sound. This about winds up 1946.

On January 6, 1947 Commodore Hart presented the club with a trophy to be used in the "Commodore's Cup" Race a new racing event to be inaugurated in 1947 in the spring months. This trophy will become the permanent possession of anyone winning it for three successive years.

Mrs. Gladys Stevenson took office as President for the Skipperettes with Eva Katzenberger as Vice President, Eleanor Gullickson as Secretary and Magdelena Mosher as Treasurer. The new officers were installed by Past President Reve Hart.

A sidelight of the evening was the second annual visit of King Neptune who gave the "works" to several Hell-Divers.

-- ooOOoo -—

Editor's Note: The above is a true and accurate history of the Bremerton Yacht Club from the time of it's inception in 1929 to January 6th, 1947. The various committees and calendar of events for 1947 were deleted until the year is over and when this history may again be brought up to date. All comments, facts and figures contained herein are taken from the minutes of the club proceedings and are not taken from "memory" and as such it may be treated as being as accurate as possible.

R. J. HART, JR. 1/10/47
N. R. SMITH, 1/27/86


Last

Next