THE HISTORY OF THE BREMERTON YACHT CLUB

Table of Contents

The First Work Party

Anyway, the first “work-party” of the B.Y.C. took place on the following Saturday. It is generally understood that everyone present had their own ideas on just how everything should be done and were not at all hesitant in voicing their private opinions both loudly and vociferously. However, as has been stated before, Commodore Phillips can talk faster and louder than anyone else to this date in the B.Y.C. so he did things his own way. There also has been the whisper of a rumor (perish the thought) that someone brought a bottle of the home brew which he conjured up in his attic and several of the members were seen partaking of this vile beverage. However, this has never been proven, thank heavens.

Just what the work party accomplished is shown in the minutes of the second meeting of the B.Y.C.:

“Regular meeting on Charleston dock” 6/25/29. Discussion on cost and advisability of employing a permanent watchman—no decision. Discussion on cost and means of obtaining logs and material for float. Motion made and carried to set the initiation fee at $5.00 per member for charter members. Charter to close July 1st, 1929 after which time fee would advance to $10.00.

Motion made and carried to fix dues at $.50 per month, in advance. Appointment of By-law committee to construct and write By-laws suitable for this club (Braendlein-Paradees-Westgren).

Yacht club pennant selected tentatively H. Haven to get estimate on cost. And so the B.Y.C. progressed. On the next meeting on July 1st, 1929 the By-laws were officially read and adopted. Also, at this meeting Elmer Brooks was elected to the office of Rear Commodore and H. Holman was elected Treasurer of the upstart organization. After this meeting the yacht club met every Monday night.

The first official cruise of the B.Y.C. was a family cruise with a destination of Brownsville.

All these Dogs...

Let us pause now for a brief look at the club: The members had been having regular work-parties and had accomplished a great deal. A dance floor and partitions had been installed in the club. One of the prime means of financing the club was by having a party ever-so-often. The guests would drive up South Cambrian and park their automobiles and then walk out on the dock meanwhile watching very carefully that they didn’t step where a plank wasn’t. The city commissioners had given the use of the dock to the club with the understanding that the club would share the dock with the Dog Pound. So the guests would wind their merry way past 4 kennels full of barking pups and finally get to the club itself.

There was a gangway leading from the end of the dock down to a flat (built by members) which was the landing float for the boats. The boats were all out at anchor. Incidentally, one of the members got rid of the dogs, finally, by the simple expedient of opening the kennels and letting them go. However, the dogs, faithful to their new found friend, followed him wherever he went. This member, not to be outdone, found a new home for all the dogs by going out to Cambrian Street and opening the doors of the cars parked along this busy boulevard and putting a mangy cur in each car. Nothin’ to it, hic!

On July 22nd, Frank Lewis was appointed Fleet Captain. There were several cruises that summer, but possibly the most outstanding was the cruise (by invitation of the Tacoma Yacht Club) to Burton over Labor Day. There were seven Bremerton boats participating in the current events while the rest came from Tacoma and the Seattle, Olympia, and Everett clubs to make a total of 125 boats in all.

Most of the business meetings in late fall in 1929 were dispensed with. In their place the fellows came dressed for work parties. The club kept gaining members remarkably fast, but due to the fact that there were no business meetings it would be necessary to drop all tools, give the new member his obligation and then hand him a hammer and put him to work. At one meeting in October, during the absence of Commodore Phillips, the Vice-Commodore (Hob Haven) gave a new member the obligation while perched precariously on the rafters of the clubhouse.

The main reason for all this industry was the fact that the members planned a big “Indoor Cruise Party” for all friends, guests and wives on December 14th. The minutes of the club show great anticipation for this party weeks in advance. It is certain that no party ever had more attention to advance details in every respect than did this one. You can bet your bottom dollar that it was a “lulu”.

On March 1Oth, 1930 the first annual nomination and election of officers for the new year took place.

H.L.Haven

Captains Haven, Brooks and Westgren were elected to the chairs in that order while Captain Lewis was re-elected as Secretary and Captain Doyle was elected Treasurer. The installation of the new officers was held in the office of the Lewis Hatchery on 6th and Wycoff on March 23rd, 1930. At that time the new Commodore appointed his standing committees part of whom c were the following: Fleet Captain—Floyd Phillips; Fleet Surgeon—Dr. Longley; Fleet Measurer—Elmer Brooks. Incidentally, this was the first and last time that the club had an official “measurer”.


Last

Next