Past CPA & Opening
· IPBA International Cruiser Race (ICR) -July 8 produced an amazing day for a Predicted Log Navigational Contest run out of Anacortes. Cap Sante Marina was a great host, and 13 boats took part in the International Cruiser Race, consisting of a 30 mile course winding thru the San Juan's. BYC did awesome, represented by Commodore Burwell, Captain Orr and Captain VanAntwerp. All of them took home prizes (mostly bottles of wine), and the camaraderie was the best. See more about this exciting sport in the Regatta for Power column in this Towline!
· Haney's Birthday Party- It was a great party on the lawn for Carrie's 50th Birthday Party! Thank you, Carrie, for inviting the BYC family to help you celebrate!
· Picnic in the Park - Thank you for all who attended the July Picnic in the Park. Thank you to Jan Cordodor and her committee for putting on a great event.
· Dinghy Cruise- The annual Dinghy Cruise to the Boatshed on SAT. JULY 22nd is still in the future as of this writing but participation has always been good, with the weather only adding to the adventure. Hopefully everyone's dinghy was fully checked out in preparation for the transit.
Forward of the Beam and Decreasing Range
· Grand 14 Officer Cruise-In Aug 11-13- BYC hosts this annual event and it is a great opportunity to show off the club to the Bridge Officers of the Grand 14 in a more relaxed social setting. Every year we get a lot of compliments on the club house, grounds, and marina during and after this event. I know everyone is always welcoming to our visitors,,,keep the good thoughts about BYC going.
· E-Committee Meeting- Aug 14 This meeting is being mentioned here at the risk of duplicating The Ecomm comments. The July Ecomm meeting was cancelled because there would not be a quorum because a large number were boating. How great is that! Get on the water! The Aug meeting is expected to happen as planned.
· Labor Day Cruise-In to Oro Bay- Plan ahead - put it on your calendar and plan to cruise to the South Sound and celebrate Labor Day and the waning days of Summer. I feel the urge for dinghy races coming on. The crowd will have to be pretty big before moorage becomes an issue. We can be quite creative on packing them in.
· POYC Club Cruise-In to BYC - While we are in Oro Bay dinghy racing, Port Orchard Yacht Club will be enjoying the amenities at BYC.
From the Commodore,
As I write this, Nina, Piper and I are cruising up Jervis Inlet with the Billings and Nelsons. This is our first return to Princess Louisa Inlet in at least twenty years. Opportunities like this really bring home the value of our yacht club. It is really great to be able to have the facilities and know-how to maintain our boats within reach of spectacular cruising waters with cruising buddies whenever you want or need them. Thank you BYC.
-- John Burwell, Commodore
From the Vice-
After four days in Poulsbo for the fireworks, Susan and I spent some time on the sound with friends and then hopped over to the East side to enjoy a couple weeks of warm (hot) weather boating in Chelan with the grandkids. Looking forward to the Grand 14 Officer’s Cruise and boating in the Sound when we return.
Susan and I are glad to be here (BYC). We like this place.
-- Phil LeBas, Vice Commodore
"True shipmates are those Sailors with whom you make lifetime friendships that can never be compared to anything…"
NCCM(SW) C. R. (Corky) Johnson- deceased
From the swim step of the Widjadidja-
Melinda and I are finding more and more reasons to love this club, the comradery and willingness to help fellow club members is absolutely amazing. We will be soliciting some help on Friday, August 11th, to help moor the incoming class of Rear Commodores of the Grand 14. If you are boating the weekend of August 11, please be advised we will be occupying empty slips to moor our fellow officers from the Grand 14. If you would like to volunteer your slip, please let me know.
-- Rear Commodore Sean Swansboro and Rear Commodorable Melinda